Laser Scan to BIM is a process using Laser Scanning and High Definition Survey technology and combining with Building Information Modelling (BIM) to accurately capture the as-built environment.
Building Information Modelling was first introduced to manage the full development lifecycle of a building project. However, with new build projects on the decline, BIM is now being used to bring about cost savings and efficiencies for retrofit, refurbishment and renovation projects.
BIM provides architects, building and civil engineering contractors, government agencies and facilities managers with a complete asset management database.
- 3D Laser Scan Point Cloud
- 3D Model
- 3D Intelligent BIM Model
- 2D Floor Plans, Elevations and Sections
- Rendered Visualisations
Benefits of Building Information Modelling
- Maximising the sustainability of a building/civil structure throughout its lifecycle.
- Early clash detection for MEP services and facilities management.
- Producing highly accurate information to enable the design team to make informed decisions fast.
- Cost savings through improved build cost estimations and reduced errors through virtual planning.
- Significantly improving the carbon efficiency of a building through heat loss surveys.
- Irish Aviation House – Dublin, Ireland (Irish Aviation Authority)
- Trinity College Science Gallery – Dublin, Ireland (Trinity College Dublin)
- Garnish Island – Co Kerry, Ireland (The Office of Public Works)
- Pairc Ui Chaoimh (Cork GAA Stadium) – Co Cork, Ireland (Malachy Walsh Consulting Engineers)
- House of St Barnabas – London, UK (BAM Nuttall, Taylor Woodrow)
- Castledermot Secondary School – Co Carlow, Ireland (Department of Education)
Coastway has a team of expert 3D Modellers and Laser Scanning Surveyors with the skills and technology to provide the following Laser Scan to BIM services:
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Laser Scanning
- Laser to BIM
- Asset Management
- Visualisation and Rendering
How it works
Specify – Initial meeting to agree the scope of work and deliverables.
Scan – Establish a highly accurate survey control network throughout building/structure. Conduct laser scan survey based on the survey control network.
Process – Process all data captured from laser scan survey by registering all point cloud data.
Model – Use the registered point cloud to create a 3D Autodesk Revit model incorporating attributes to create a full BIM model.
Maintain – Archive and maintain the BIM model for future projects.
For further information about our Laser Scan to BIM services or to request a quotation, contact Jeff Hott or Niall Kane.